Monday, November 29, 2010

And I exhale...

I woke up to the same badgering thoughts this morning that had attempted to keep me wide-eyed last night. Knotting my stomach were the very same anxious, fearful and unwelcome imaginations I had already wrestled with just a few short hours ago, and I hate it. In wearied annoyance, I felt myself inhale, clench my jaw, and tense as my still-aching head began to intensify its pounding. Relentlessly, the torrential downpour of despair began to flood my soul threatening to damage and destroy all places of peace in my heart and mind. THIS is not acceptable. In my lifetime I have forfeited far too many precious hours of life to such vile attacks. I have surrendered one too many days to such plans and schemes and this will not be one of those days.

Today I will set my mind on things above. Today I will take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. Today I will cast down every imagination and argument that tries to come against who God is, what His Word says, and who I KNOW Him to be. I know He will not leave me or forsake me. I know that if He cares for the flowers of the fields and the birds of the air, He cares for me. I know that He is not some distant deity unaware or neglectful of creation...He is Daddy. He is PRESENT, alert, and mindful. His heart of love beats with readiness to be Sufficiency and His voice is available to speak, "Peace. Be still!" Our Father delights to be intimately involved in the most seemingly insignificant details of our lives. He loves us and if that ever rings hollow or sounds cliche, then may we experience His love freshly and profoundly once again. He loves us! He IS Love... and it is adhering to the truth that He so loves us that stabilizes us when storm-tossed. "There is no fear in love [dread does not exist] but full-grown, complete, perfect love casts out fear and expels every trace of terror" (1 John 4:18)

To continue to allow myself to be perpetually uneasy is to forfeit the gift of perfect peace He gives when my mind is fixed on Him and lures me away from the safety of His arms. "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [whose power no foe can withstand]. I will say of the Lord, HE is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I confidently trust!" (Psalm 91:1-2) Today Lord, You are my Solid Rock, my Anchor, my Strong Tower, and my Firm Foundation and by Your grace and strength I shall not be moved! You thrill my heart with Your still small voice and once again I am infused with peace that surpasses all understanding and a bubbling joy that is my sustaining strength. Tension is replaced by truth and stress is eradicated by Your presence. "In the multitude of my anxious thoughts within me, Your comforts cheer and delight my soul!" (Ps. 94:19) And I exhale...

No comments:

Post a Comment