Saturday, May 28, 2016

Our Forever Guide

Life has had me marinating in the richness of the Psalms lately. This morning as I read the familiar words of Psalm 104, Holy Spirit did what He often does and arrested my attention on a verse I've not previously given much attention to. It wasn't highlighted nor underlined in my Bible, but suddenly it sort of jumped off the pages and into my spirit.

As the words surrounding this particular verse began to describe how God laid the foundations of the earth, my heart was struck with awe as I tried to imagine that spectacular moment. I marveled at the thought of Him clothing the globe with waters, His voice thundering. Then I read:

"The mountains rose, the valleys sank down to the place which YOU APPOINTED FOR THEM."

Before I could read on, the realization gripped me that BOTH the mountain AND the valley are His handiwork. BOTH. Mountains high and valleys low...God placed them both on the planet with the sound of His voice, and EVERYTHING He has made is both good and pulsating with purpose.

Oftentimes, I have been guilty of thinking only the "mountaintop" moments of life are His doing, not so-- it is both the glorious mountains and the shadowy valleys that God takes credit for. If  The Almighty created and appointed them their place, will He not also be there with us? His Word confirms and assures us He will! He gives us hinds' feet for high places (Psalm 18:33) and also accompanies us through dark valleys (Psalm 23:4).

The high places are treacherous, with the potential for great falls. We need Him there.
The low places are cavernous, threatening to swallow us whole. We need Him there.
No matter what the current topography of our lives looks like, we need Him THERE.

Thank God that He promises to never leave us or forsake us! He delights to be our much needed Navigator-- leading us through the ups and the downs, as well as the various twists and turns. He enjoys being our Companion--equipping us with everything necessary for the journey. I am amazed. I am grateful. Through this simple scripture today, I am once again reminded that the very same God who artfully arranged the landscape of our lives with precision and purpose, is fiercely committed to being our forever Guide as we journey on!



No comments:

Post a Comment