Monday, May 9, 2016

Above ALL else...

"Above ALL else guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it..." Reading these words in Proverbs 4:23 this morning, and hearing a powerful Bible teacher highlight them as well, I was struck with the intensity of such a phrase. Above...all...else.

There isn't a lot of wiggle room there. It doesn't say, "in addition to", or "along with", or "as you have the chance". No, directly and decisively, the God-breathed Scriptures tell us to make the act of guarding our hearts THE top priority.

The original text says, "with all diligence". When best translated, this verse is shaking us awake and warning us to patrol our hearts with all the alertness of a prison guard. Let nothing escape, nor anything enter, without our express permission. Wow.

As I pondered this, I sensed the Lord ask me if I'd like to learn how to guard my heart. I assumed I already knew how. That's the thing with God, however, He knows what we "know" (think we know) and what we really KNOW... and DON'T know. If He's asking and offering to teach us something, there is clearly something MORE to know. There is always so much more to know of His ways, His will, and His Word.

There's a lot of room between, just doing the best that I know how to do-- guarding my heart whenever I actually think to do so, and guarding my heart with all diligence--ABOVE ALL ELSE--making it top priority in my life. I have much to learn.

Today, I am responding then, "yes, Lord, train me, equip, empower, and grace me to guard my heart. Teach me how to watch over all that You are working into it and out of it, so that nothing ever invades and nothing ever pours out except what will only and always brings You glory...ABOVE ALL ELSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment